History of the Collection
The purpose of the Museum of the Mercian Regiment (Worcestershire & Sherwood Foresters Collection) is to collect and preserve material relating to the history of the Mercian Regiment in Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire, The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire) Regiment and The Worcestershire & Sherwood Foresters Regiment.
The Museum’s existing collection consists of uniforms, weapons, equipment, Regimental colours, photographs, prints, oil paintings, documents, books, silver, medals and mementoes of officers and men who served with the regiment since formation in 1741.
The Museum is a registered charity (No 1001226) and has 16 trustees (ex-officio, Individual and Nominated) who include Lord Lieutenants, County and City Councillors, serving and former members of the Regiment. The Archives and Reserve Collection are held in Foresters House, Chilwell from where the Museum is managed by a Professional Curator.
The collection of articles of regimental historical interest started at the Regimental Depot in Normanton Barracks, Derby, with the aim of instructing recruits in regimental history. Captured weapons were displayed shortly after the First World War. However, it was not until 8 June 1928 that a collecting policy was formally established with the formation of a Regimental Historical Fund and governing committee. The Collection remained in the Depot until the barracks closed in 1963. Following a period in store, agreement was made with Nottingham Castle where it has remained ever since.
Arts council Accredited
The Museum achieved ‘Fully Registered’ status on 10 March 1999 under the then Museums and Galleries Commission Scheme. It became Fully Accredited with the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council on 24 September 2009 and was invited to re-apply under the Arts Council England Scheme in 2012 for which it received full Accreditation in 2014 and then again in 2016.
The museum is also a member of the Army Museum’s Ogilby Trust.
Did you know?
In 1973, at the invitation of Derby City Council a joint exhibition was opened in Derby City Museum. Currently this is shared with the 9th/12th Royal Lancers and the Derbyshire Yeomanry. The Military Gallery at Derby Museum & Art Gallery was re-developed with assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund and re-opened in 2008.